I am not talking about goji berries, acai berries, pine nuts or chestnuts here, We are going to explore the benefits of flaxseed today. In India, this super seed is often called as Alsi, Tissi, Atashi, Jawas, Tishi, Agasi, Aviselu, Pesi, Ali vidai, Cheruchana vithu. These seeds are available at a lower price as compared to any other expensive seed in the supermarket. You can buy them even at a local grocery store. Lignan is a type of fibre which is found in concentrated form in flaxseeds. Research indicates that lignan from flaxseeds can prevent prostate cancer. It also assists in dropping blood pressure. They reduce triglycerides, prevent constipation, improve blood sugars and reduce inflammation in the body. Vegetarians often run low on omega 3, hence adding flaxseed about 1 tablespoon chia seed and 1 tablespoon flaxseed a day can meet the requirements. This is must if you want to reduce inflammation – aches and pains in the body.
- Recommended dosage: As Per Swati, the recommended dosage of flaxseeds was 1 tablespoon grounded per day
- Benefits Of flaxseeds: Omega 3 fatty acids, Soluble Fibre
How is it used?
Flaxseeds come in naturally in a hull which means if you eat flaxseed as it is in the seed form it may not get entirely digested in your gut because of this outer covering. The best way to consume flaxseed is by grinding them in a powder form. Yes, you read it right, the best way to consume flaxseed so that the body also absorbs it is to consume them in a ground form. These seeds are very high in antioxidants, and they can be stored in an air-tight container for 4 months at room temperature. I advise using flaxseed powder over flaxseed oil – as flaxseed oil goes through intense heat during its processing which can remove its antioxidants. And think about fibre too? Oil doesn’t carry fibre.
Flaxseed powder can be used anywhere- you can sprinkle them on your salad, on your daal, soups, breakfast cereals, vegetables or even add them to your chappati dough. For kids, you can add the flaxseed powder in the milk as they can be fussy. Kids will not even know how a glass of milk is going to make them feel like a superman! If you are preparing any finger food for your children like muffins or cakes – add flaxseed powder to the muffin. For example, you need to add 1 tablespoon of flaxseed powder to each muffin, and you meet the requirements for omega 3 for the day. How simple is this! If your cooking skills are phenomenal, you can also do some experiment in making nutritious bar- like the nutritious energy bars with oats and nuts and add flaxseed powder to them and bake the bars in the oven.
This is my recipe for all Executive Home chefs!
Flaxseed crackers/ biscuits
- 200 gms flaxseed powder
- 250 ml of water
- Herbs and spices of your choice: chilly flakes, oregano, salt, garlic and ginger powder
- Mix all the ingredients. Spread the dough on the baking sheet and score the dough in 30 pieces, and bake the crackers at 200-degree celsius for 20 minutes.
- Dip these crackers with a hung curd dip or green chutney, tomato chutney or simply in hummus or beetroot dip.
- If baking a cracker is cumbersome you can make a milkshake
- ½ cup milk (the type of milk is a personal choice)
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed powder
- ½ ripe banana
- 1-2 dates
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
Tips For Chefs And Home Cooks
- For chefs de cuisine at home, flaxseed powder can be used as a replacement for cornflour and eggs too. What about adding flaxseed powder to your stir fry sauces instead of cornflour! Isn’t that a brilliant way to add omega 3 fatty acids to the diet and yet get that gelling effect in food? Just add 1 tablespoon of flax powder to 250 ml water.
- When you use flaxseed powder as an egg replacer, whisk 3 tablespoons water with 1 tablespoon of flaxseed powder.
- They are low in cholesterol, rich in omega 3 and soluble fibre. This will not only reduce cholesterol but will also help in your bowel health.
- Flaxseed is low in cost, safe to consume. Now do not get overboard on consuming flaxseed powder because you have read in this article. Just consuming one tablespoon flaxseed powder is good enough for you. We also need other seeds in the diet.
Read more articles on Healthy Diet