Hello and welcome to Match 53 of Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 in UAE. Chennai Super Kings will face Kings XI Punjab in Abu Dhabi on Sunday.
Big games coming up on Sunday. First, it’s Kings XI Punjab taking on Chennai Super Kings in Abu Dhabi. Punjab will have its sights set on a playoff berth. It suffered a setback after the Rajasthan Royals snapped its five-match winning streak earlier this week. It’ll be up against a Chennai side that has found form of late – too little, too late you’d say – and has won two back-to-back games.
– Kings XI was on a high winning five games on the bounce before it lost to Rajasthan on Friday. Out of the playoffs race, the Super Kings will play for pride. Here’s our preview – READ
– Sunil Gavaskar, in his column for Sportstar, analyses CSK’s poor show in the ongoing Indian Premier League and attributes it to the team’s poor batting – READ
– Chennai Super Kings coach Stephen Fleming took solace from finding the “right player” in Ruturaj Gaikwad as he dealt with the mixed emotions of notching up victories after being knocked out of playoffs contention in the IPL – READ
– Chris Gayle on Friday fell one short of becoming the second oldest batsman to hit a Twenty20 hundred in the Indian Premier League encounter between Kings XI Punjab and Rajasthan Royals in Abu Dhabi – READ
– Who is a mystery spinner? Spin bowlers and coaches decode the art that has become essential to T20 teams today, thanks to early starters such as Sunil Narine. – READ
Here are the likely playing XI of both teams
Chennai Super Kings: Ruturaj Gaikwad, Shane Watson, Ambati Rayudu, MS Dhoni (capt & wk), Ravindra Jadeja, N Jagadeesan, Sam Curran, Mitchell Santner, Deepak Chahar, Karn Sharma, Josh Hazlewood
Kings XI Punjab: Mandeep Singh, KL Rahul (capt, wk), Chris Gayle, Nicholas Pooran, Glenn Maxwell, Deepak Hooda, Chris Jordan, M Ashwin, Mohammed Shami, Ravi Bishnoi, Arshdeep Singh
IPL 2020 Team Standings & Points Table
|Mumbai Indians (Q)||13||9||4||18||+1.296|
|Royal Challengers Bangalore||13||7||6||14||-0.145|
|Kings XI Punjab||13||6||7||12||-0.133|
|Kolkata Knight Riders||13||6||7||12||-0.467|
|Chennai Super Kings (X)||13||5||8||10||-0.532|
PLAYOFF SCENARIOS FOR KXIP
If the Sunrisers Hyderabad win their last match against Mumbai on Tuesday, they will go through on account of their superior Net Run Rate. Hence, not only do Punjab need to beat CSK today but they also have to ensure that their NRR is better than the winner of the evening encounter between the Rajasthan Royals and the Kolkata Knight Riders. It helps that the Kings’s NRR is better than Royal Challengers Bangalore’s. Virat Kohli’s men lost to Sunrisers on Saturday, making the Monday clash between RCB and DC a shoot-out for the second spot.
–LISTEN IN| In E07 of our IPL podcast, our correspondents discuss the biggest talking points surrounding the Indian squads that will tour Australia later this year, a tight competition for the knockouts in IPL 2020 and what Chennai Super Kings’ exit from the tournament this season means for the side.
Check out: IPL 2020 Purple Cap Live Updates
Check out: IPL 2020 Orange Cap holder LIVE
WATCH EPISODE 6 OF OUR NEWEST SERIES T20 TIME FEATURING INDIA BATSMAN CHETESHWAR PUJARA
CSK and KXIP Full Squads
Chennai Super Kings: Murali Vijay, Shane Watson, Faf du Plessis, Ambati Rayudu, MS Dhoni (Captain & Wicketkeeper), Ravindra Jadeja, Sam Curran, Kedar Jadhav, Deepak Chahar, Piyush Chawla, Lungi Ngidi, Karn Sharma, Josh Hazlewood, Imran Tahir, Shardul Thakur, Monu Kumar, Mitchell Santner, R. Sai Kishore, N Jagadeesan, Ruturaj Gaikwad, KM Asif
Kings XI Punjab: K. L. Rahul (Capt.), Glenn Maxwell, Chris Gayle, Mayank Agarwal, Karun Nair, Sarfaraz Khan, Mandeep Singh, Sheldon Cottrell, Ishan Porel, Ravi Bishnoi, Mohammed Shami, Mujeeb ur Rahman, Arshdeep Singh, Hardus Viljoen, M. Ashwin, J. Suchith, Harpreet Brar, Darshan Nalkande, James Neesham, Chris Jordan, Krishnappa Gowtham, Deepak Hooda, Tajinder Singh Dhillon, Nicholas Pooran, Prabhsimran Singh.
Venue: Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi
Time: 3.30 pm (IST)